Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Story Time!

Gather round, nuggets. Rocket's got a story.

So, currently, I'm taking care of a friend's pet while they're away on vacation. On my way over I remember I need kitty litter. So I make a side trip and end up driving down a road I don't normally go down. Nothing sketchy or anything like that. It's just not a usual road. And the only reason that's important is because on my normal roads I know where the cops are.

Now, I'll admit, I'm a bit of a speed demon. Speed limits are kinda sorta suggestions to me. I don't go like 25 over or anything, but 5 over is bare minimum for me. Unless there's a cop behind me. Or my mother's in the car. I like going fast. My brother swears that I told him once it's impolite to drive the speed limit. I personally don't remember ever saying that, but I'm also not denying that I did. Anyways that is why one day when my wonderful pick-up that I adore bites the rust-stained dust that's looming over the horizon, I'll upgrade to a gorgeous convertible with a six-cylinder engine that purrs and roars when I kick her into gear. *sighs dreamily*

Anyways, because of my need for the buzz I get when zipping down the pavement, I have made a mental map for myself of all the little nooks and crannies the cops like to hang around on the streets I normally cruse. But because of my adventure onto an unfamiliar street, I got pulled over. Me. Pulled over. First time since I started driving that this has ever happened. 

So I'm sitting in my truck, trying to imagine why I've been pulled over. For once, I was actually going slightly under the speed limit (purely because I was trying to remember where my turn was, but ssshhhhh), my tags were up to date, it was before dark so my lights weren't needed. So now I'm really nervous. Well anyways, the officer strolls over to the window and the conversation goes something like this:

Me *politely*: Evening officer.

Cop: Miss, do you know why I pulled you over?

Me: *shakes head*

Cop: You were driving recklessly.

Me: Sir?

Cop: You only had one hand on the wheel.

OK. So. Seriously? This guy was so bored he pulled me over, not because I was breaking any traffic laws or anything. But because I only had one hand on the wheel. Which, OK, is not really proper driving technique but I kinda have to. 

I drive a stick shift. 

After explaining this to the police officer and showing him the inside of my truck so he could examine my gear shift and clutch pedal (wow that sounds bad), I was let off with a warning. Not an apology. A WARNING. Because I was driving a stick shift vehicle.

All I gotta say is, the cops in my area are weird sometimes. 

~Rocket 

No comments:

Post a Comment